NIGB15014U Introduction to Solid Earth Geophysics
BSc Programme in Geology-Geoscience
The course focuses on geophysical characterization and interpretation of the Earth from the near-surface layers to the deep interior parts. Focus will be on understanding the physics behind different key geophysical methods and disciplines for understanding dynamic processes and mapping the Earth. We build and expand on the geophysical disciplines introduced during the first year of the Geology study programme, and we introduce new disciplines that provide a basis for future geophysical courses.
- Fundamental physics for understanding Earth structure and evolution
- Overview of different geophysical methods for mapping and description of Earth
- Fundamentals regarding geophysical method selection and data acquisition planning
- Integrated geophysical-geological interpretation with focus on key topics related to e.g. plate tectonics and resource exploration
- Be able to describe the physics behind different, fundamental geophysical disciplines/methods
- Be able to select the optimal geophysical methods for solution of specific geophysical problems at hand
- Ability to conduct fundamental data editing and initial data quality assessment
- Ability to describe fundamental data processing aspects
- Be able to apply fundamental methods for geophysical data interpretation
- Be able to present a suite of geophysical disciplines well-suited for different types of geophysical exploration
- Be able to critically assess geophysical data quality
- Present ability to solve key geophysical problems
- Be able to discuss and present geophysical interpretations
- Be able to make a geological interpretation based on geophysical observations
Der gives mundtlige individuel og kollektiv feedback i forbindelse med de ugentlige øvelsestimer. I forbindelse med karaktergivning ved den mundtlige eksamen gives en kort, individuel feedback sammen med karakteren.
- 7,5 ECTS
- Type of assessment
- Oral examination, 20 minutesAt the exam the student draws a question and is examined without preparation time.
- Without aids
- Marking scale
- 7-point grading scale
- Censorship form
- External censorship
Identical to the ordinary examination form.
Criteria for exam assesment
See "Learning Outcome".
- Theory exercises