NGEA09046U Acquisition and Processing of Seismic Data
MSc Programme in Geology-Geoscience
The course focuses on understanding of seismic and ground-penetrating radar wave propagation. Moreover, the course will focus on elements in the wave propagation that are of key importance for subsequent processing and interpretation of wavefield data. Special emphasis is on planning of acquisition of seismic and georadar data, processing of seismic and georadar data using state-of-the-art commercial software, and data quality evaluation. Examples of data interpretation, including pitfalls in data interpretation are also given.
- understanding of seismic and georadar wavefield propagation in heterogeneous media
- interaction between wavefield and subsurface layers and structures
- understanding of key parameters that are essential for description of the wave propagation
- planning of acquisition of seismic and georadar data
- application of standard processing techniques for improvement of seismic and georadar data using state-of-the-art commercial software
- data quality control and critical evaluation
- ability to plan proper execution of field work for the acquisition of seismic and georadar data
- ability to process wavefield data
- ability to judge data quality
- ability to explain fundamental aspects of the theory behind standard data processing schemes
- ability to identify and avoid common pitfall in interpretation of seismic and georadar data
- Theory exercises
- 7,5 ECTS
- Type of assessment
- Oral examination, 20 minutesAt the exam the student draws a question and is examined without preparation time.
- Without aids
- Marking scale
- 7-point grading scale
- Censorship form
- External censorship
Identical to the ordinary examination form.
Criteria for exam assesment
Please see learning outcome.