NFYK15004U Advanced Seismology
MSc Programme in Physics
MSc Programme in Geology-Geoscience
The course will cover several aspects of global earthquake seismology and applied refraction- and reflection seismology. The focus will be on mathematical and numerical aspects of seismology, including seismic sources, elasticity theory, wave propagation, ray theories, seismic tomography, imaging, waveform inversion, seismic signal analysis and data processing.
This course aims to provide the student with skills to
- compute seismic source mechanisms from seismic data
- simulate simple seismic wave propagation
- compute seismic rays in inhomogeneous media
- perform simple seismic tomography
- compute Earth images from seismic reflection data
- understand and explain the principles of seismic waveform inversion in the acoustic approximation
- perform basic seismic signal analysis and data processing
The course will give the students
- a basic understanding of of the mathematics and numerical techniques of seismology.
The students will be able to:
- plan, develop and carry out basic seismic data analysis, including data simulation, data inversion and processing.
Will be announced in Absalon
- 7,5 ECTS
- Type of assessment
- Written assignment, ~2 weeksOral examination, 30 minutesOne (individual or group) project (50%) followed by an individual oral examination (50%).
- Without aids
- Marking scale
- 7-point grading scale
- Censorship form
- No external censorship
several internal examiners
Same as ordinary exam; the student can choose to re-use points from the project or make a new project.
Criteria for exam assesment
see learning outcome
- Practical exercises
- Project work