NFOK14019U  Microbiology of Fermented Food and Beverages

Volume 2015/2016
Education

MSc Programme in Food Science and Technology
MSc Programme in Food Innovation and Health
MSc Programme in Biochemistry
MSc Programme in Sustainable Development in Agriculture (Agris Mundus)
MSc Programme in Animal Derived Food

Content

The course will have major focus on the microorganisms involved in the processing of various fermented food and beverages. The course will deal with the taxonomy of important microorganisms especially lactic acid bacteria (LAB) and yeasts including both phenotypic characteristics and molecular typing techniques for their identification.

Methods for isolation including both culture and culture independent techniques will be covered. This will include techniques such as high through put sequencing as well as various tools for bioinformatics.

Various fermentation techniques will be introduced covering the use of starter cultures and other fermentation techniques such as back-slopping.

An introduction to various fermented foods and beverages will be given including products such as cheese, bread, wine and beer as well as a number of traditional indigenous fermented foods. Focus will additionally be on microbial interactions including topics such as quorum sensing, bacteriocin formation, etc.

 
Learning Outcome

The objective of the course is to give the students a thorough knowledge on the microbiology behind production of fermented food and beverages and to give the students skills within isolation and identification of microorganisms occurring in these products. Additionally the students will be able to evaluate the functionalities and applications of microbial starter cultures.

The students will gain knowledge within:

- microbiology in general and more specifically on the taxonomy of important groups of microorganisms identified from fermented food and beverages

- microbial taxonomic systems

- molecular techniques for identification and typing

- microbial physiology

- functionalities of different microorganisms in fermented food and beverages produced world-wide

- microbial interactions

 

The students will acquire skills within:

- development of procedures and plans for isolation and identification of the predominant microorganisms in fermented food and beverages

- understanding at the molecular level the behaviour and interaction between various groups of microorganisms

- understanding the measures required to ensure optimal product quality

- identification of the important parameters leading to optimal product quality and food safety

 

The students will acquire competences within:

- isolation of microorganisms from different types of fermented food and beverages

- evaluation of the composition of the microbiota of fermented food and beverages

- identification of the predominant microorganisms by both phenotypic and genotypic methods

- description of presumed functionalities of microorganisms in fermented food or beverages

Scientific publications, compendia and text book chapters.

Qualifications corresponding to course LLEA10274 Fødevaremikrobiologi.
Lectures, theoretical and laboratory practicals. The lectures will introduce issues of importance for the understanding of microbial behaviour during production of fermented food and beverages. The theoretical and laboratory practicals will give the students practice on how to identify various microorganisms from fermented food and beverages including skills within various molecular techniques.
Credit
7,5 ECTS
Type of assessment
Oral examination, 20 min
The students will hand in a minor report based on a theoretical topic and experimental results obtained during the practicals. At the time of the oral examination, one question is drawn, and the examination proceeds without preparation time. In due time before the exam the questions will be given to the students. At the exam the oral presentation of the report will account for 25% of the grade. The questions and the remaining curriculum will account for 75% of the grade.
Exam registration requirements

report based on a theoretical topic and experimental results obtained during the practicals

Aid
All aids allowed
Marking scale
7-point grading scale
Censorship form
External censorship
Several internal examiners and one external examiner
Re-exam

The re-exam will likewise partly be based on an oral presentation of the report (25% of the grade). The student should hand in the report no later than two weeks before end of registration for the re-exam. Modification of the report before the re-exam is accepted.

Criteria for exam assesment

Fullfilment of learning outcome.

  • Category
  • Hours
  • Lectures
  • 27
  • Theory exercises
  • 21
  • Practical exercises
  • 41
  • Exam
  • 1
  • Preparation
  • 116
  • Total
  • 206