NFOB15008U Sensory Evaluation of Food
Bacheloruddannelsen i fødevarer og ernæring - compulsary
Sensory science is a discipline that uses humans and their senses to measure and evaluate products or other sensory stimuli in an objective or personal manner. The course introduces the field of sensory science as it relates to food and nutritional sciences. Different aspects on how to evoke, measure and evaluate sensory properties of foods are presented within a framework of different methodological approaches.
Special focus will be on basic sensory evaluation methods (discrimination, descriptive, temporal, etc.), factors influencing sensory judgments, common laboratory practices (planning, sample order presentations, response scales, IT and staff management, etc.) and panels (recruitment, selection and training) as well as data analysis. Relationships between sensory measures (visual, flavour and texture) and instrumental analyses (physical and chemical) will be presented in relation to validity and predictive capability in food quality control. The wider implications of changing sensory properties of foods for consumer preferences and behaviour are briefly introduced.
The student will be trained in making appropriate choices of methods and data analysis for different situations, e.g. within food production, quality control and product development.
- Basic understanding of the common five senses and how they can interact
- Reflect on the basic sensory methods and their appropriate application for the question at stake
- Reflect on product quality as measured by the senses and instruments
- Reflect on role of sensory properties in a broader consumer and food behavioural context
- Reflect on the ethical implications of running sensory tests with humans
- Knowledge on the scope, implications and background of the field of sensory science
- Knowledge on the elementary concepts and terminology used in sensory science
- Knowledge on basic data analytical approaches to assess sensory data
- Knowledge on factors influencing the validity of sensory judgements and practices
- Ability to assess the ethical and other requirements for carrying out sensory tests
- Ability to select assessors for an analytical sensory panel
- Ability to manage and train a sensory panel
- Ability to set up and perform basic sensory tests in a scientifically valid way
- Ability to analyse and interpret the sensory data in a correct way
- Ability to make correct methodological choices and handling for different analytical sensory purposes
- Respond to safety requirements and secure handling of personal data in sensory science
Lecture notes, course compendium (latest edition) and
hand-outs. The compendium is available for purchase from Academic
Books on Campus.
For the data analysis in this course you need a laptop with Windows based operating system.
- Practical exercises
- Theory exercises
- 7,5 ECTS
- Type of assessment
- Written examination, 2 hours under invigilation2 hour multiple choice
The course has been selected for ITX exam at Peter Bangs Vej
- All aids allowed
NB: If the exam is held at the ITX, the ITX will provide computers. Private computer, tablet or mobile phone CANNOT be brought along to the exam. Books and notes should be brought on paper or saved on a USB key.
- Marking scale
- 7-point grading scale
- Censorship form
- No external censorship
- Exam period
More than one internal examiner
Same as ordinary exam
Criteria for exam assesment
Fullfilment of the learning outcomes