NFOB15002U Brewing Summer Course 2,5 ECTS
Basic raw materials in brewing: Malt, Water, Hops
Basic Proces: Brewhouse, Brewer's yeast,
Fermentation, maturation and filtration, process equipment
Beer Packaging; Container types.
The role of beer in society
The Danish and International Brewing Industry
Beer and health, the basics
Beer styles; introduction and taste tasting
Visit to a brewery
After the course the student will have obtained the following:
- Basic understanding of the manufacturing processes of beer in a classic brewery with respect to impact from raw materials, brewhouse – and fermentation processes.
- Knowledge of most popular beer styles and their use in context with beer and food.
- Basic understanding of the role of beer in society
- Basic understanding of the role for beer and health
- Apply academic methodology to describe basic manufacturing beer and beer’s role in society.
- Read and use original scientific literature regarding beer and beer manufacturing.
- Evaluate the role of beer in society, beer and health, modern beer containers based on literature, on lectures and partly also own project work and scientific literature.
A selection of reviews, book chapters, original scientific literature, articles from news magazines and lecturer teaching material is presented and made available to students before the summer course starts.
B) Lectures 2nd to 6th August 2021, where a general overview of the subject is presented.
C) Theoretical exercises that elaborate and illustrate the theoretical knowledge by using e. g. specific real world examples.
D) Visit to a brewery.
It is recommended that students have passed 100 ECTS points of their bachelor programme before signing up for this course
- Theory exercises
If you are not a student at The Faculty of Science at The University of Copenhagen click here.
- 2,5 ECTS
- Type of assessment
- Written examination, 1 hour under invigilationWritten examination with certain aids on the last day of the course
- Only certain aids allowed
Dictionary and calculator
- Marking scale
- 7-point grading scale
- Censorship form
- No external censorship
Several internal examiners
Same as ordinary.
If 10 or fewer register for the reexamination the examination form will be oral. The oral reexam is with the same aids as the written exam. There is 20 minutes for preparation and 20 minutes for examination.
Criteria for exam assesment
Fulfillment of learning outcome