NBIK10005U Bioinformatics Project 1
MSc Programme in Bioinformatics
The exact content is decided with the supervisor.
The aim of these projects is to get a deep understanding of a bioinformatics topic often related to a research project. This is often a practical biological application using the computational methods you have been introduced to in other courses, e.g. testing a biological hypothesis on massive data sets. It may also be the implementation of a new method using python or some other programming language or an entirely theoretical project.
- Write a bioinformatics report
- Search for background material
- Select and use relevant bioinformatics tools for a specific project
The student will obtain these general competences
- Ability to do project work
- Writing a scientific report
- Presenting work orally
- Analyze complex real-world problems
Academic qualifications equivalent to a BSc degree is recommended.
- Project work
Written and/or oral feedback during the project work.
Oral feedback at the exam.
As an exchange, guest and credit student - click here!
- 7,5 ECTS
- Type of assessment
- Written assignmentOral examination, 60 min. (no preparation)
- Type of assessment details
- Written assignment, min. 2000 words (2/3 of final grade)
- Ongoing preparation throughout the course with submission at the end of the course.
Oral examination (1/3 of final grade)
- All aids allowed
- Marking scale
- 7-point grading scale
- Censorship form
- No external censorship
Several internal examiners
Same as ordinary exam.
Students must pass both exams to pass the overall exam. The passed part of the exam may be reused in a reexam.
If the written assignment is not passed it may be revised and submitted no later than three weeks before the reexam.
If the written assignment is not submitted witin the deadline it must be submitted no later than three weeks before the reexam.
Criteria for exam assesment
In order to achieve the grade 12 the student must
- Complete a project in bioinformatics, which adresses an important problem and presents a solution, or a partial solution, at an adequate level.
- Identify relevant literature and understand the parts relevant for their project.
- Write a scientifically precise report, which motivates their work, clearly presents the background, presents the methods and results of the work without errors, discusses the implications of the results and draws scientifically sound conclusions based on the work.
- Present the work in a clear and scientifically satisfactory way, including motivation, methods, results, main achievements and future outlook.
- Answer questions about any part of the project in reasonable depth and explain the core methods and results of the project in great detail.
- Put the work in context and discuss possible future directions of research in the area and judge the relevance of such work.
- Course code
- 7,5 ECTS
- Full Degree Master
- 1 block
- Block 1, Block 2, Block 3, Block 4 And Summer
- Meetings with supervisor.
- Course capacity
- No limitation
The number of seats may be reduced in the late registration period
- Study Board for the Biological Area
- Department of Biology
- Department of Computer Science
- Faculty of Science
- Rasmus Heller (7-746a676e6e677442646b71306d7730666d)