SHUA13022U Grant Application Writing
MSc in Human Biology - elective course
MSc in Public Health Science - elective course
MSc in Health Informatics - elective course
MSc in Health Science - elective course
Also available for PhD-students at The Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences
The overall objective is to give students insight into the requirements for writing a grant application for an experimental project corresponding to the workload of their master thesis project. The student should create a written assignment built up like a grant application during the course period. The student should also present, "sell" and discuss the project during an oral session with the study group.
In addition there will be a short workshop on good medical writing style in english. Finally, students will be made familiar with the funding landscape in Denmark, and will be inspired to think about their career as researchers.
After completing the course the student is expected to:
- be familiar with the structures of each part of an application (project description, CV and budget)
- have gained insight into the funding landscape in Denmark
- know about search and help tools specifically at University of Copenhagen for finding funding and preparing an application
- have started to improve his/her english writing style
- communicate and advertise a scientific project (preferably their master thesis subject) in the form of a written project description.
- communicate and advertise a scientific project (preferably their master thesis subject) in the form of an oral presentation to people with a scientific background within basic or applied medical sciences.
- critically assess his/her own and other´s project description and constructively discuss ways for improvement
- be able to write, structure, assess and improve own application writing
Scientific literature covering the area of the Master's Thesis, power point presentations online (Absalon)
The students must be able to read and write English on a relevant scientific level.
- Project work
Open for credit transfer students and other external students. Apply here:
Credit transfer students:
Other external students:
- 5 ECTS
- Type of assessment
- Course participationWritten assignmentParticipation in at least 80% of the teaching (all categories, lectures, project work and exercises)
Mandatory participation on the final day of oral student´s presentations.
In order to pass the student must submit a written grant application and present it in a reasonable to good quality on the last day the course.
- All aids allowed
- Marking scale
- passed/not passed
- Censorship form
- No external censorship
- Exam period
Wednesday, week 37: Hand in written application for assessment
Friday, week 37: Oral presentation on last day of course
Criteria for exam assesment
To achieve a course certificate, the student must be able to:
- communicate and advertise a scientific project (preferably their master's thesis subject) in the form of a written project description.
- communicate and advertise a scientific project (preferably their master's thesis subject) in the form of an oral presentation to people with a scientific background within basic or applied medical sciences.