SGBK20007U Climate Change and Biodiversity
MSc Programme in Environmental Science
Msc Programme in Biology
Msc Programme in Climate Change
This course will explore the consequences and crisis that biodiversity is facing under global change , with a focus on the effects of climate change on biodiversity and how it affects human societies. In particular, we will address key questions such as:
- How do climate and climate change lead to changes in biodiversity on land and oceans at genetic, species and ecosystem levels ?
- Does climate change interact with other global change drivers (e.g., invasive species, habitat alteration) to influence biodiversity?
- What are the effects of climate changes on species extinctions and interactions between species ?
- Do changes in biodiversity affect human wellbeing and society?
In order to address these questions, we will read and discuss the primary literature, participate in lectures and discussions, and engage in a series of exercises and experiments.
By the end of this course, you will understand the fundamental concepts of biodiversity, its impact on the environment, and how climate change impact biodiversity.
You will be able to: (1) read and interpret literature on climatic change, biodiversity, (2) design a scientific field experiment to test biodiversity and climate change concepts, (3) understand how to collect, analyze, interpret, and present data, (4) engage in a scientific dialog about biodiversity and current topics in climate change and biodiversity.
Students will understand what biodiversity is, how to measure biodiversity, how to interpret biodiversity data, and be able to present and discuss scientific information related to biodiversity.
Readings will be from the primary literature and will be made available prior to class sessions.
- Class Instruction
- Practical exercises
- Field Work
- Project work
- 7,5 ECTS
- Type of assessment
- PortfolioPortfolio assessment: 50% field project and report, 25% written exam (2 hours), and 25% presentation and active participation during the course. The course is passed if the final grade is passed irrespective of the grading of the subparts. The subparts do not have to be passed in the same exam period.
- All aids allowed
Digital Notes (It is allowed to upload notes for the ITX exam via digital exam. You will find a link to this feature from your exam in Digital Exam).
- Marking scale
- 7-point grading scale
- Censorship form
- No external censorship
Several internal examiners
Criteria for exam assesment
See Learning Outcome