SDMM12005U Master's Thesis, Disaster Management
On completion of the thesis, students should be able to:
- Demonstrate insights into the research process from identifying the nature of a research problem, formulating research questions and translating these into research objectives.
- Understand the value of the choice of appropriate research methods.
- Collect necessary data/information and critically analyse, review and interpret own research in the context of existing literature.
- As part of the thesis writing process give a short thesis presentation, highlighting research problems and questions, research objectives, methods and main findings, conclusion and possible recommendations - as well as discussing critical questions and remarks regarding the findings and conclusions.
- Develop and present well-argued and referenced recommendations as to future practice(s) in a given field.
- Where relevant, include proper communication with and feedback to study objects and local authorities on research results including practical policy implications (if research is based on local data) with a view to contribute to improvements at the local level.
- Provide critical and constructive feedback to fellow students on their theses.
- Project work
Examiners provide individual written feedback on the thesis via Digital Exam.
- 20 ECTS
- Type of assessment
- Written assignmentParticipation in oral presentation of thesis project plan (Thesis Seminar)
Master's Thesis (30-35 pages) according to thesis guidelines
- All aids allowed
- Marking scale
- 7-point grading scale
- Censorship form
- External censorship
Criteria for exam assesment
To achieve the maximum grade of 12, the student shall be able to:
- Demonstrate insights into the interdisciplinary field of disaster risk management (DRM)
- Have a thorough understanding of research processes from identifying the nature of a research problem, formulating research questions and translating these into research objectives in a DRM context
- Understand and relate critically to state-of-the art knowledge in the chosen research area
- Understand the value of an appropriate choice and use of specific research methods
- Demonstrate proper use of selected research methods
- Identify and collect necessary data/information and critically analyse, review and interpret own research in the context of existing literature in the research field.
- Communicate research findings and conclusions clearly, correctly and concisely according to academic standards.
- Develop and present well-argued and referenced recommendations as to future practice(s) in the field of DRM field.
- Where relevant in the research process, participate professionally in interdisciplinary and inter-sectoral collaboration with a view to enhance knowledge and practices in the field of DRM.