SBRI19008U Translational Research Management and Leadership
BRIDGE - Translational Excellence Program
Introduction to management and leadership
Management versus leadership, impact of cultural differences, managing your self, communication, feedback and criticism, managing meetings, and how to begin to improve your leadership skills.
Working in a team
Self-awareness, how your personality impact on your interaction in a team, dynamics in teams, team skills, how to change roles in a team, how to view a situation from different perspectives, how to identify factors influencing motivation, dynamics of conflicts, and dealing with conflicts.
Introduction to coaching and coaching tools, how to delegate, transitioning from postdoc to leader of a research group, how to build relationships based on interest and opportunity, and how to develop strategies and leadership.
On completion of the course, the participants should be able to:
- Discuss principles of research data management and data management plans
- Explain suitability of different experimental model systems, and how they can be used in translational research
- Determine current practices how pharmaceutical industry use experimental model system in translational research
- Prepare a draft of the fellow’s research data management plan
- Assess which model system would be optimal for their research
- Prepare a research data management plan that complies with requirements by funding agencies and other stakeholders
- Critically evaluate the advantages and disadvantages of different experimental model systems
- Design basic outlines for preclinical models for drug discovery
- Understand the central aspects of translational tools and be able to discuss and communicate these to other scientists, clinicians, and the public
Ken Peach; Managing Science: Developing your Research, Leadership and Management Skills; ISBN-13: 9780198796077.
• Individual reading and reflection
- Theory exercises
- Exam Preparation
Automatic registration upon appointment in the Translational Excellence Program
- 0 ECTS
- Type of assessment
- Continuous assessmentCourse participation• attendance
• Active participation
• Pre- and post- self-evaluation
- Exam registration requirements
Participants are automatically registered for the Examination upon course registration.
- All aids allowed
- Marking scale
- passed/not passed
- Censorship form
- No external censorship
Criteria for exam assesment
- Attendance, including providing feedback to fellow course participants
- Preparation of 3 min pitch of own research management and leadership experiences
- Subsequently submit a plan for own research management and leadership strategy
- Knowledge of basic theories in translational research management and leadership
- Knowledge of the different contexts in which a research leader operates - from academia to industry and from basic to clinical science
- Knowledge of the skills needed to manage multi-disciplinary research projects.
- Have acquired the skills to begin build self-awareness of own role as research manager
- Have acquired the tools to begin developing teamwork skills