NMAK21000U Geometric Topology (GeomTop)
MSc Programme in Mathematics
The course covers various topics in the area of algebraic and geometric topology, such as Poincaré duality, characteristic classes, or foundations of differential topology.
- Knowledge: To display knowledge of the course topics and content, at the level of a beginning researcher.
- Skills: To be able to use the acquired knowledge to perform computations.
- Competencies: To be able to produce independent proofs in extension of the acquired knowledge.
Example of course literature:
Introduction to Differential Topology by Bröcker and Jänich, Characteristic Classes by Milnor and Stasheff, Differential Forms in Algebraic Topology by Bott and Tu, and parts of the textbook Algebraic Topology by Allen Hatcher.
Academic qualifications equivalent to a BSc degree are recommended.
If you are registered with examination attempts in NMAA13029U Algebraic Topology 1.5: Cohomology (AlgTop 1.5) without having passed the course, you have to use your last examination attempts to pass the exam in NMAK21000U - Geometric Topology (GeomTop). You have a total of three examination attempts.
- Theory exercises
- 7,5 ECTS
- Type of assessment
- Continuous assessmentWeekly homework counting 50 % towards the grade and a 2 hours 'closed-book' final in-class problem set counting 50 % of the grade.
- Only certain aids allowed
All aids allowed for the weekly homework. No books and no electronic aids are allowed for the 2 hours final exam. Only personally created handwritten notes on paper are allowed.
- Marking scale
- 7-point grading scale
- Censorship form
- No external censorship
One internal examiner.
30 minutes oral examination with no aids or preparation time. The oral examination will cover the entire material of the course, including the exercise sets.
Criteria for exam assesment
The student must in a satisfactory way demonstrate that they have mastered the learning outcome of the course.
- Course code
- 7,5 ECTS
- Full Degree Master
- 1 block
- Block 3
- Course capacity
- No limit.
- Course is also available as continuing and professional education
- Study board
- Study Board of Mathematics and Computer Science
- Department of Mathematical Sciences
- Faculty of Science
- Søren Galatius (8-6c667166796e7a78457266796d33707a336970)