NMAK17009U CHANGED: Topics in Algebra and Number Theory
MSc Programme in Mathematics
We will cover various topics in contemporary Algebra and Number Theory, such as Arithmetic Geometry, special functions, explicit methods, rational points, moduli problems in arithmetic, with the precise content depending on the interests of the participants.
Knowledge: To display knowledge of the course topics and content, at the level of a beginning researcher.
Skills: To be able to use the acquired knowledge to obtain proofs.
Competences: To be able to produce independent
proofs in extension of
the acquired knowledge.
See Absalon for a list of course literature.
- 7,5 ECTS
- Type of assessment
- Written examination, 3 hours under invigilationContinuous assessmentCHANGED FOR THE STUDY YEAR 2018/19: ONE WRITTEN ASSIGNMENT DURING THE COURSE AND A FINAL ORAL EXAM (30 MINUTES PREPARATION TIME). THE WRITTEN ASSIGNMENT COUNTS FOR 20% AND THE FINAL ORAL EXAM COUNTS FOR THE REMAINING 80% OF THE GRADE. THE PART-EXAMINATIONS DO NOT NEED TO BE PASSED INDIVIDUALLY, AS LONG AS THE OVERALL GRADE IS PASSED.
Two written assigments during the course and a written examination, 3 hours under invigilation.
The two written assignments count each 20% and the final written exam counts the remaining 60% of the grade.
The part-examinations do not need to be passed individually, as long as the overall grade is passed.
- All aids allowed
CHANGED FOR THE STUDY YEAR 2018/19:
CONTINUOUS ASSESSEMENT: ALL AIDS ALLOWED
ORAL EXAM: WITHOUT AIDS
- Marking scale
- 7-point grading scale
- Censorship form
- No external censorship
One internal examiner.
30 minutes oral exam without preparation time and without aids.
Criteria for exam assesment
In order to obtain the grade 12 the student should convincingly and accurately demonstrate the knowledge, skills and competences described under Learning Outcome.
- Course Preparation