NMAK16013U Cancelled Introduction to Modern Cryptography
MSc Programme in Mathematics
MSc Programme in Mathematics with a minor subject
- Basic principles of modern cryptography; security definitions
- One-way functions, pseudorandom generators, pseudorandom functions, pseudorandom permutations
- Private-key encryption, block and stream ciphers, security against chosen plaintext attacks
- Public-key cryptography
We will also describe some example constructions; how many we cover depends on interest and time.
- Knowledge: the students will have an understanding of the theoretical and mathematical basis of modern cryptographic systems.
- Skills: the students will be able to give rigorous security proofs of basic cryptographic systems, and connect various cryptographic primitives with rigorous reductions.
- Competencies: understanding theorems about theoretical cryptography; proving security reductions; reasoning about the limits of computationally-bounded adversaries.
Academic qualifications equivalent to a BSc degree is recommended.
The course is appropriate for students in both Mathematics and Computer Science.
- Theory exercises
- Project work
Written feedback will be given on mandatory, individual assignments in order for students to improve their subsequent assignments.
Collective oral feedback will be given in class when students suggest solutions to the posed problems and questions.
- 7,5 ECTS
- Type of assessment
- Continuous assessmentOral examination, 30 minutesThere will be graded
- [20%] Project with a 15-minute presentation;
- [40%] 4 assignments. The one with the lowest grade will be dropped and won't affect the final grade; the other three will contribute towards the final grade equally;
- [40%] Oral final exam with preparation time of 25min, where the student randomly selects one topic from a previously known list of topics.
- Only certain aids allowed
All aids allowed for the project and assignments.
No aids allowed during the final exam.
- Marking scale
- 7-point grading scale
- Censorship form
- No external censorship
Several internal examiners
25 minute oral exam with no preparation time and no aids. Several internal examiners.
Criteria for exam assesment
The student must in a satisfactory way demonstrate that he/she has mastered the learning outcome of the course.