NMAA05010U Topology (Top)
BSc Programme in Mathematics
This is a course on topological spaces and continuous maps. Main topics of this course are:
- Topological Spaces
- Subspace, Order, Product, Metric and Quotient Topologies
- Continuous Functions
- Connectedness and Compactness
- Countability and Separation Axioms
Secondary topics are:
- Retractions and fixed points
- Tychonoff Theorem
- Vistas of algebraic topology
This course will enable the participants to work with basic topological concepts and methods. At the end of the course, the students are expected to have attained:
- understand and assimluate the concepts and methods of the main course topics including basic definitions and theorems
- understand secondary topics covered in the specific course
- determine properties of a topological space such as Hausdorffness, countability, (path) connectedness, (local) compactness
- construct new spaces as subspaces, quotient spaces and product spaces of known ones
- analyze concrete topological spaces using acquired knowledge and skills
- relate the theory of topological spaces and continuous maps to specific settings in past and future math courses
- Theory exercises
- 7,5 ECTS
- Type of assessment
- Continuous assessmentWritten examination, 3 hour under invigilationA complete evaluation of weekly work (weighted 50%) and a written 3 hour ‘closed-book’ final exam (weighted 50%) constitute the basis for assessment.
- Only certain aids allowed
All aids allowed for the weekly homework. No books and no electronic aids are allowed for the 3 hours final exam. Personally created handwritten notes on paper are allowed.
- Marking scale
- 7-point grading scale
- Censorship form
- No external censorship
One internal examiner
Consists of a 3 hour written exam under invigilation. Only certain aids allowed: No books and no electronic aids are allowed. Personally created handwritten notes on paper are allowed.
Criteria for exam assesment
The student must in a satisfactory way demonstrate that he/she has mastered the learning outcome.