NFOK19000U CANCELLED: Food Packaging 5 ECTS
MSc Programme in Food Science and Technology
MSc Programme in Food Innovation and Health
The process of packaging of foods is where many food scientific disciplines meet in practice. The food package is also the “surface” of the food product that meets the consumer first. The packaging of food will have consequences for the quality and shelf life of food products. It has an impact of the environment and climate through the use of oil based materials and release of plastic in nature. When designing food packaging for food one has to consider and balance many aspects such as consumer appeal, food safety, environmental, food quality and technological aspects.
Detailed content of the course includes:
Technology and methods for food packaging. Food packaging materials. Light transmission and gas and water vapor permeability of packaging films. Surface properties of packaging materials. Interaction between food and packaging. Shelf life, chemical and microbiologial development of quality of packaged food. Packaging gases and modified atmosphere packaging. Packaging of foods with specific demands such as dry foods, dairy products, meat and beer. Environmental impact of food packaging and sustainable packaging technology and packaging materials. Intelligent packaging and novell technology. Consumer scientific aspects of packaging.
- Understanding of packaging materials and their properties in terms of permeability, transmission and sealing properties.
- Indentification of environmental impact of packaging solutions
- Understand shelf life and microbiological and food chemical aspects of food packaging and food product.
- Show overview of consumer scientific aspects of packaging
- Understand food chemical aspects of food packaging
- Knowledge of packaging equipment and technology
- Skills in presenting and explaining complex relations food packaging
- Skills in applying theoretical concepts and making calculations related to packaging.
- Analyze and discuss packaging demands of food products
Literature will be announced on Absalon
- 5 ECTS
- Type of assessment
- Oral examination, 20 minutesOral examination without preparation time. The examination takes its starting point in the poster produced by the student.
The student presents the poster. The presentation soon develops into a scientific conversation with the examiners. The examiners pose questions in the full curriculum and might include supplementary materials (graphs, tables, pictures and drawings).
- Exam registration requirements
Students must prepare one poster and present this poster and take part in poster session.
- Without aids
- Marking scale
- 7-point grading scale
- Censorship form
- No external censorship
Several internal examiners
Same as ordinary exam
The student must hand in a poster with content withing curriculum. Poster must be handed in one week before reexamination.
Criteria for exam assesment
See Learning Outcome.
The student is assesed based on the presentation of the individual poster and ability to engage in a scientific discussion involving the curriculum of the course.
- Theory exercises
- Class Seminar
- Project work