NBIK15006U Advanced Cell Biology
MSc Programme in Biochemistry
MSc Programme in Biology
MSc Programme in Biology with a minor subject
The course covers cutting-edge theoretical and experimental knowledge of cell biology with special emphasis on cellular structures, organization and function of organelles, physiological properties of cells, signaling pathways, and interactions between cells and their environment. The course thus provides the student with in-depth knowledge on the complexity of cell biology and how defects in cellular processes are associated with pathological conditions.
By attending the course, the student will achieve:
The course provides the student with a detailed and comprehensive knowledge of cell biology, and how cellular processes control development and tissue homeostasis (see also "Criteria for exam assessment"). The course also presents an overview of specified cellular signaling pathways as well as the latest research within selected cell biological areas and their significance in human health and disease.
The course covers theoretical and experimental knowledge mainly based on text books and in part on key papers in cell biology, including both reviews and original articles. This will enable the student to analyze, interpret and evaluate experimental data obtained from cell biological research that covers the criteria for exam assessment (please see "Criteria for exam assessment").
The student is competent to understand, interpret and integrate the complexity of cell biology. For achieving extensive proficiencies in cellular communication and signaling pathway interactions it is recommended to continue with the Block 2 course: Cellular Signalling in Health and Disease.
Academic qualifications equivalent to a BSc degree is recommended.
- Theory exercises
- 7,5 ECTS
- Type of assessment
- Written examination, 4 hours under invigilationWritten open book exam.
- Only certain aids allowed
- Students are allowed to bring all aids in paper format.
- Students are allowed to bring their computer (either their laptop OR their tablet). It is not allowed to bring more than one computer.
- Internet access and any form of communication with other electronic devices are NOT allowed. The computer must be on "flight mode".
- Mobile phones, pocket calculators or any other electronic devices (except laptop or tablet) are NOT allowed.
Students are allowed to use headphones for music. Headphones must be connected to the computer, which is on "flight mode".
- Marking scale
- 7-point grading scale
- Censorship form
- No external censorship
Several internal examiners.
The same as the ordinary exam.
If ten or fewer students have signed up for re-exam, the type of assessment will be changed to oral exam 20 minutes with 20 minutes preparation time. All aids in paper format are allowed as outlined for the written exam.
Criteria for exam assesment
See Learning Outcome.
- Course code
- 7,5 ECTS
- Full Degree Master
- 1 block
- Block 1
- Course capacity
- Course is also available as continuing and professional education
- Study board
- Study Board for the Biological Area
- Department of Biology
- Faculty of Science
- Søren Tvorup Christensen (13-7f806f747e757f80717a7f717a4c6e757b3a77813a7077)