NBIK10013U Individual Project in Bioinformatics
MSc Programme in Bioinformatics
The exact content is decided with the supervisor.
The aim of these projects is to get deeply into a bioinformatics
topic, often related to a research project. This is often used as a
warm-up for the Master’s project.
Students completing the course will be able to:
- motivate their work, clearly present the background information, methods and results of the work without errors, discuss the implications of the results and draw scientifically sound conclusions based on the work.
- search for relevant literature and understand the relevant parts.
- write a project in a scientifically precise way with adequate references.
- present the work.
- answer questions about any part of the project in reasonable depth and explain the core methods and results of the project in great detail.
- put the work in context and discuss possible future directions
of research in the area and judge the relevance of such work.
The aim with these projects is to get a deep understanding of a bioinformatics topic often related to a research project. This is often used as a warm-up for the Master’s project. The exact content is decided with the supervisor.
- Write a bioinformatics report
- Search for background material
- Select and use relevant bioinformatics tools for a specific project
The student will obtain these general competences:
- Ability to do project work
- Writing a scientific report
- Analyze complex real-world problems
Knowledge within bioinformatics. Programming at least at the level of “Linux and Python Programming” is recommended.
Academic qualifications equivalent to a BSc degree is recommended.
- Project work
Written and/or oral feedback during the project work.
Oral feedback at the exam.
- 15 ECTS
- Type of assessment
- Written assignmentOral examination, 60 min. (no preparation)Written assignment (2/3 of final grade)
- Ongoing preparation throughout the course with submission at the end of the course.
Oral examination (1/3 of final grade)
- All aids allowed
- Marking scale
- 7-point grading scale
- Censorship form
- No external censorship
Several internal examiners
The same as the ordinary exam.
Students must pass both exams to pass the overall exam. The passed part of the exam may be reused in a reexam.
If the written assignment is not passed it may be revised and submitted no later than three weeks before the reexam.
If the written assignment is not submitted witin the deadline it must be submitted no later than three weeks before the reexam.
Criteria for exam assesment
In order to obtain the grade 12 the student should convincingly and accurately demonstrate the knowledge, skills and competences described under Learning Outcome.