NBIB14019U Immunology (Immun)
BSc Programme in Biochemistry
BSc Programme in Biology
BSc Programme in Molecular Biomedicine
The course will include:
- Cells and mechanisms involved in innate and adaptive immunity
- What is the specific immune system and how is it generated,
- The activation and effector mechanisms of T and B cells,
- Regulation of the immune system in health and disease,
- Autoimmunity, allergy, immune defects and tumor immunology
- Application of immunology in drug development and in the biopharmaceutical industry,
- Introduction to immune systems in non-mammalian organisms.
The present course will focus on understanding the key elements in the development, activation and regulation of mammalian and non-mammalian immune systems.
The students will get a solid understanding of mammalian immunology and innate immunity in a spectra of species. This will include: Insight into how complex organisms defend themselves against intruders; the evolution of immunity and the never ending arms race between potential hosts and microbes; how adaptive immunity develops and functions; how innate immune systems functions; and how these immune systems are linked and regulated; Autoimmunity, allergy, immune defects and tumor immunology.
Through lectures, seminars, laboratory exercises and presentation of original literature, the students will be highly qualified to join research groups that works with all aspects of immunity. Invited speakers from the biopharmaceutical industry will learn students about application possibilities and drug development.
- Class Instruction
- Theory exercises
- Practical exercises
- Project work
Individual feedback is given during class in response to questions and individual presentations of primary literature. Individual feedback on practical skills is given during laboratory exercises. Group feedback on progress on the acquired knowledge, skills and competences is given through evaluation in a multiple choice tests.
- 15 ECTS
- Type of assessment
- Written examination, 4 hours under invigilationThe course has been selected for ITX exam on Peter Bangs Vej.
- Without aids
- Marking scale
- 7-point grading scale
- Censorship form
- No external censorship
Two internal examiners.
The same as the ordinary exam.
If ten og fewer students have signed up for re-exam, the type of assessment will be changed to oral exam 20 minutes with 20 minutes preparation time and no aids.
Criteria for exam assesment
In order to obtain the grade 12 the student should convincingly and accurately demonstrate the knowledge, skills and competences described under Learning Outcome.