JJUB55128U European Court of Human Rights
The European Court of Human Rights is entrusted with the task of interpreting and applying the European Convention on Human Rights. The Court's judgments are binding for 47 European states and its enforcement machinery offers, undeniably, the most effective international Human Rights protection in the world.
This course gives a deeper insight into the case-law of the
European Court of Human Rights. The main focus will be on the
Court's own judgments, a selection of which will be analysed
in-depth. However, the course also covers procedural aspects of the
Court’s work and the overall legal nad political context in which
the Court functions.
The ultimate aim of the course is to enhance students' understanding of the Court's legal reasoning, thereby enabling them to conduct independent studies of the Court's case-law.
- Understand the basic rights contained in the ECHR and the role of the ECtHR in their development,
- Explain the ECtHR’s principles of interpretation and their effect on Convention rights,
- Discuss - orally or in writing - the quality of a judgment or a line in case law of the ECtHR on the basis of existing case law and the general principles of interpretation,
- Identify the legal issues involved in real or hypothetical cases, and explain the relevance of of ECtHR jurisprudence to them,
- Communicate and formulate her/his knowledge and arguments professionally and linguistically correct and in a way hat is structured and coherent.
Selected judgments and other materials, ca. 750 pp
The teaching will be based on students’ active participation in discussions of the Court’s case law. This dialoguw will ensure feed-back to students from the teacher
- Students enrolled at Faculty of Law: Self Service at KUnet
- Professionals: Single subject application form (tuition fee apply)
- 15 ECTS
- Type of assessment
- Written examination, 1 dayAssigned individual written assignment, 1 day
- Marking scale
- 7-point grading scale
- Censorship form
- No external censorship
- Exam period
January 14-15, 2020
February 17-18, 2020