JJUA55185U EU Environmental Law
The importance and influence of EU-environmental Law has increased substantially during the last two decades. Sustainable development and environmental protection are parts of the overall Community policy. More than 300 pieces of legislation on environment have been adopted, and more than 800 cases have been reported from the European Court of Justice.
The objective of this course is to offer an introduction and to
acquaint students with this comprehensive field of law.
The first part of the course will focus on four subjects:
- the legal implications of environmental principles
- the relation between free trade and environmental protection
- the division of competences
- citizen rights
The second part of the course will concentrate on selected subjects including environmental impact assessment, access to justice, air- and water pollution, nature conservation, waste legislation and community legislation on chemicals.
- Present and explain the theoretical and
practical problems of EU Environmental Law
- Identify complicated legal problems
- Analyse complex problems related to EU Environmental Law based on various relevant and professional reasoned approaches
- Argue in favour of professionally reasoned solutions, make a critical weighing of the relevant arguments and make a reasoned choice in relation to theoretical and practical solutions
- Put into perspective the specific problems of EU Environmental Law in a way that demonstrates a professional overview and insight in the part of EU Environmental Law covered by the course
- Communicate and formulate knowledge and arguments professionally and linguistically correct and in a structured and coherent way.
Jan Jans: European environmental law : after Lisbon / Jan H. Jans & Hans H.B. Vedder, 2012.
A collection of directives, regulations and court cases.
- 7,5 ECTS
- Type of assessment
- Oral examination, 20 min.Oral exam without preparation 20 minutes
- Marking scale
- 7-point grading scale
- Censorship form
- External censorship
- Exam period