HMGK03031U AMIS: Integration
Advanced Migration Studies
This course provides insights into the settlement and integration of immigrants in receiving countries. It provides insights into the main challenges and political and legal framings of integration processes. The course is case-based and focusses on three arenas for interaction between migrant and host society, namely education, labor market and residential areas. We will work with integration in schools with a special focus on the challenges and possibilities for children with ethnic and linguistic minority background. Regarding labor market integration, we address issues like the work place as a site for various forms of integration and strategies for attracting and recruiting international employees. Finally, residential patterns and political regulation of these will be analyzed: how do they shape the composition of particular neighborhoods and how can we understand processes of segregation and cohesion at the local level.
The course implies that students will plan and carry out an integration related field study in one of the three areas. The field study will contain both qualitative and quantitative aspects and form the basis of an assignment where students also reflect on possible solutions to integration related challenges.
Among other objectives, the course will provide:
- Knowledge about the main challenges in processes of settlement and integration of immigrants into their new societies.
- A broad understanding of integration policies and legal issues regarding migrant – majority relations in key arenas like schools, labor market and residential areas.
- Skills in analyzing the challenges that arises in these arenas.
- Experiences in planning, conducting and reporting a field study under supervision.
There will be produced a reader for the course.
- 15 ECTS
- Type of assessment
- Written assignmentOral defenceTake-home assignment: 25 standard pages
Oral exam: 30 min
- Marking scale
- 7-point grading scale
- Censorship form
- No external censorship
Same as above.
Criteria for exam assesment