HHIK05291U HIS/CEMES Modern European Tourism
Modern European Studies (CEMES: 2. European politics in
Modern European Studies 1 (Subject element HHIK03701E) [2013-Curriculum]
Modern European Studies 2 (Subject element HHIK03711E) [2013-Curriculum]
Module I-VI [MA Programme, 2008-Curriculum]
Module I-VI [MA-elective Programme, 2008-Curriculum]
BA-level [Internal BA-elective for BA students of History]
Module T4 (Subject element HHIB10501E) [BA-elective studies, 2007- and 2013-Curriculum]
Module T5 (Subject element HHIB10511E) [BA-elective studies, 2007- and 2013-Curriculum]
Modern European Tourism
This course focuses on the role of the tourist and the tourism industry in modern Europe. It traces how European travel cultures have changed from the beginning of the 19th century to today. Emphasis will be on the workings of tourism in the 20th century under capitalism, Communism, and Nazism, and on the soft power of tourism in international relations. The course combines an introduction to theories about tourism with comparative and transnational perspectives on the history of European tourism.
Course objectives (on completion of this course students are expected to be able to):
• account for the main developments in the history of tourism
• critically discuss the historical literature on European tourism
• independently analyse a specific case study related to modern European tourism
• communicate and discuss the themes of the course clearly and effectively, orally and in writing
- Christopher Endy: Cold War Holidays: American Tourism in
France. Chapel Hill, NC: The University of North Carolina
- Turizm. The Russian and East European Tourist under Capitalism and Socialism. Eds.: Anne E. Gorsuch & Diane P. Koenker. Ithaca, NY: Cornell University Press, 2006.
Additional readings will be assigned in class.
- Class Instruction
- 15 ECTS
- Type of assessment
- Other under invigilation
Criteria for exam assesment
CEMES: Studieordning for tilvalg på kandidatniveau i Moderne
See all current curricula for History & Uddannelseshåndbog for Historie [BA-tv, 2005-ordningen + KA, 2008-ordningen] & Uddannelseshåndbog for Historie [BA-tv, 2013-ordningen].