HFMK03542U Digital film and Media Strategies: Seminar A: Film, TV and Digital Storytelling
Master’s Degree Programme in Film and Media Studies 2019.
Kandidatsidefag i Film- og Medievidenskab 2019-ordningen.
The course will focus on strategic communication in a creative and production-oriented marketing perspective and will include production exercises with different media such as video, podcast, virtual reality and written material.
We will work with campaigns and branding from a creative as well as strategic perspective, look at distribution of factual and fictional narratives in the form of short as well as feature length films, web series and podcasts on different digital platforms, using very different means such as influencers and event making to attract attention. We will also work with the issue of storytelling itself and the question of a data driven creation and marketing dialogue between storyteller and audience. This question will be actualised in planning and production and student productions will be given feedback from a commissioning editor from a major film company. Other guests will come from film institutions talking about strategic distribution of feature films and about their support for the development of web series projects. We will also meet a commissioning editor for TV fiction series and a commissioning editor from a streaming service. The guests will focus on the creative aspect of storytelling as well. This aspect will be followed by a cooperation in idea making and branding by a major storytelling institution.
At the examination, the student is able to demonstrate:
Knowledge and understanding of:
- digital communication, dissemination and narrative in different genres and across different media and digital platforms.
- key concepts for understanding communicative film and media strategies and the specific criteria and design behind such strategies in digital media environments, including concepts such as spin, propaganda, branding, PR and event management.
- the connections between digital film and media launch strategies and new production and online distribution and use patterns.
- the development and assessment of communication strategies, narratives and other dissemination strategies in various digital contexts.
- analyse all aspects of a digital communication or dissemination case study based on relevant theoretical concepts and knowledge about audience/viewers/users.
- explain theoretically the differences and similarities between different digital communication and dissemination strategies across different platforms.
- use theoretical, analytical and practical knowledge to carry
out a work assignment for partners in the film and media
- analyse all the aspects of a given communication or dissemination case study.
- develop a digital communication or dissemination strategy from concept to product in collaboration with an organisation or company.
evaluate the implementation and results of a given communication strategy on the basis of an academic analysis of the film and media context in which it is employed.
Theory of digital film and media strategies is used, among other things on cross-media communication, combined with audiovisual exercises.
- Class Instruction
- 15 ECTS
- Type of assessment
- Exam registration requirements
Active class participation is defined as:
- Approval of 2-3 exercises/productions (10-15 minute presentation, 3-5 standard pages, or a production of a maximum of 10 minutes).
Written submissions as part of active class participation may be written in Danish or English. The exam can be taken in Danish or English.
- Marking scale
- 7-point grading scale
- Censorship form
- External censorship
Criteria for exam assesment
Kandidatsidefag i Film- Medievidenskab.