HENK13142U Writing in English: Creative Writing Workshop
This workshop is open to all students with an interest in learning the art of writing narrative, whether you are a student within Engerom or another institute; whether you have been putting pen to paper for a long time, or are simply curious about what it means to have a practice of writing. The course will allow you to explore your creative side: it will not only make you a better writer – and a better writer in the English language – but it will change the way you look at literature.
The lectures will be held, either in-person or online, by a visiting writer who will share their practiced perspective on narratological concepts such as point of view, characterisation, conflict and writing feeling. Reading for the class will involve studying contemporary British and American writers with a specific eye to their craft and technique in the art of writing, and students will discuss these and put their critical insights in English to work in response to these published authors, as well as in drafting and editing their own creative work. In the workshops, we will use writing prompts to explore specific techniques, look at how the writers we read use them, and share work with each other.
Students who wish to take this course without writing creatively will write critically about the techniques and structures of contemporary writers. Students interested in publishing their work or in writing creatively for professions will be given support in exploring these options. All students will participate in workshopping each other’s writing and students should expect to produce several drafts of their work over the 14 weeks of the course. While assessment will be based on 2 final pieces of writing (for a total of 25 pages), students can expect to write and get feedback on many more draft pieces of work.
Studerende indskrevet på Kandidatuddannelsen i engelsk kan desuden bruge kurset til Frit Emne 1, 2 og 3.
- Class Instruction
Er din kandidatstudieordning fra 2019 eller senere?
Du skal tilmelde dig kandidattilvalg i Selvbetjeningen.
Er din kandidatstudieordning fra 2018 eller tidligere?
Du skal tilmelde dig kandidattilvalg via en elektronisk blanket. Blanketten er kun tilgængelig i selvbetjeningsperioderne.
Link til KA-tilvalgsblanket (ordinær tilmelding)
Link til KA-tilvalgsblanket (eftertilmelding)
Studerende fra andre fakulteter/universiteter kan finde vejledning og ansøgningsskema her.
- 15 ECTS
- Type of assessment
- Portfolio, A joint portfolio uploaded in digital exam: Deadline January 5th 2022The 15 ECTS class will be examined by a portfolio exam consisting of two pieces of creative writing (or academic writing about craft): one 6-8 pages due in week 42 (24th October 9pm) and one 10-12 pages due at the portfolio deadline, as well as 4 x 1 page prompts to be handed in to the visiting writers over the course of the semester and included in the portfolio with feedback.
Criteria for exam assesment
- Course code
- 15 ECTS
- Full Degree MasterFull Degree Master choice
- 1 semester
- See schedule
- Course is also available as continuing and professional education
- Study board
- Study board of English, Germanic and Romance Studies
- Department of English, Germanic and Romance Studies
- Faculty of Humanities
- Helene Grøn (6-79737836383e456d7a7233707a336970)