ASOA15073E Critical theory and the social sciences
Course package (MSc 2015):
Welfare, inequality and mobility
Knowledge, organisation and politics
Culture, lifestyle and everyday life
Creditstudents can be at either bachelor or master level
The course is a cross-disciplinary course and aims to attract students from Sociology, Anthropology and Political Science
This course has its base in the cross-disciplinary research
centre Centre for Anthropological, Political and Social
Theory (CAPS) at the faculty of the social sciences,
University of Copenhagen.
The general topic of the course is the meaning and role of critique in the social sciences. The course will focus on different theoretical conceptions of critique and the application of critique in different fields of research across the social sciences.
The student must in a first step be able to understand what distinguishes different conceptions of critique and the role critique plays in different conceptions of social science. In the next step the student must be able to relate these conceptions to different ways of conducting critique in different interdisciplinary research fields and compare and critically discuss these ways.
The course provides students with the practical skill of criticizing social problems or pathologies and to use this skill in research across disciplines in investigations of the social world.
To plan an perform research and investigations of different aspects of the social world in which critique plays a crucial role. The student will be able to choose and apply the right way of criticizing in different kinds of interdisciplinary research.
A combination of articles, chapters in edited volumes and 2-3 books.
Through discussions in class
Registration deadline for courses is June 1st for
Autumn semester and December 1st for Spring semester.
Registration deadline for Summer school is June 1st.
The ordinary period for registration for Summer courses is from November 15th to December 1st.
If the course is full after this period, it will NOT be offered for registration again, in the extra period for registration from May 15th to June 1st.
When registered you will be signed up for exam.
International exchange students must sign up by filling in an application form: course registration.
Credit students: klik her
- 7,5 ECTS
- Type of assessment
- Portfolio, -Length: Portfolio exam can be written individually or in groups of Max. 4 students. Portfolio exams consist of 2-7 submissions. For MA students, there is a submission more than for BA students, i.e. if the BA student has to submit five submissions, the MA students must submit six submissions. The number of submissions is set by the lecturer. The total length of all of the submissions must be max. 30,000 keystrokes for one student. For groups of two students, Max. 40,000 keystrokes. For groups of three students, Max. 45,000 keystrokes and for groups of four students, Max. 50,000 keystrokes. In the case of group assignments, the contribution of each individual student must be clearly marked in the assignment. For groups with both BA and MA students, the same number of submissions is required as for MA students. The assignments are assessed jointly with a single grade.
- Exam registration requirements
Sociology students must be enrolled under either BSc Curriculum 2016 or MSc Curriculum 2015 to take this exam.
Antropology stundents - to be updated
Political Science students - to be updated
Creditstudents can be at either bachelor or master level.
- All aids allowed
- Marking scale
- 7-point grading scale
- Censorship form
- No external censorship
- Exam period
Find more information on your study page at KUnet.
Exchange students and Danish full degree guest students please see the homepage of Sociology;
www.soc.ku.dk under Education --> Exams
Written take-home essay with NEW questions
Criteria for exam assesment
Please see the learning outcome.
- Course code
- 7,5 ECTS
- BachelorBachelor choice,Full Degree Master,Full Degree Master choice
- 1 semester
- See timetable
- Course capacity
- Vejl. 40 personer
- Study board
- Department of Anthropology, Study Council
- Department of Anthropology
- Department of Political Science
- Department of Sociology
- Faculty of Social Sciences
- Mikael Carleheden (2-4f4542757165306d7730666d)
- Lars Tønder (2-6e76426b6875306d7730666d)
- Heiko Henkel (12-6b686c6e72316b68716e686f436471776b7572316e7831676e)
Sociology: Mikael Carleheden, e-mail: MC@soc.ku.dk
Political Science: Lars Tønder, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Anthropology: Heiko Henkel, e-mail: email@example.com