TAFASWA75U Kiswahili I
MA in African Studies
This course comprises of basic instruction in Kiswahili. The main objective of the course is to give the students skills in Kiswahili, as well as broaden their knowledge concerning the language to enable students to express themselves understandably in Kiswahili. Working with the relevant texts and dialogues will give the student competencies in analyzing texts, generally, and at the same time enable the student to get a deeper understanding of the cultural dimensions of life associated with Kiswahili speaking peoples, details of which are clearly described in the texts and dialogues. The students will get a wider understanding of relevant culture and history, which is a key element to their learning to use the language. Students will acquire the ability to translate Kiswahili into English at a beginner level and vice versa, as well as be able to identify the most important differences in the two languages.
The aim is for the student to acquire the following qualifications:
- Mastery of the language at a basic level – to read and translate texts.
- Knowledge and understanding of how language and texts may be described and analyzed
- Develop critical skills in the close reading and analysis of short texts and dialogues
- Analyze texts and define their constituent parts.
For information on how to register please see www.teol.ku.dk/cas/studentinformation/courses/course_registration
- 7,5 ECTS
- Type of assessment
- Oral examination, 30 min.Preparation time 15 minutes and oral examination 15 minutes.
- Marking scale
- 7-point grading scale
- Censorship form
- No external censorship
- Exam period
For more information please see here: https://intranet.ku.dk/africanstudies_ma/examination/examinationtimeschedule/Pages/default.aspx
- Class Instruction
- Course Preparation
- Exam Preparation