SPUM09032U Introduction to the Danish Welfare model and health system
The course introduces Erasmus Mundus students to the Danish welfare model and health care system. The course discusses how the formation of the Danish welfare model has influenced and influences the structure and organisation of the Danish health care system as well as the health status of the Danish population. Studies have almost invariably concluded that population health is enhanced by the generous and universal welfare provision of the social democratic Nordic countries when contrasted to liberal states. However in contrast to their strong performance in terms of overall health, the Nordic welfare states do not have the smallest health inequalities. Using the generated insight into Danish welfare and health care system the course discusses this public health puzzle, which also challenges existing theories on social inequality.
At the end of this course the individual student should be able to:
- Explain the Danish welfare model’s development and significance for the health care system
- Explain the structure, organisation and performance of the Danish health care system
- Discuss and evaluate the differences between the Danish welfare state and other types of welfare states
- Discuss and critically evaluate relations between welfare provision and population level health
- Plan public health studies in relation to the relation between welfare provision and population level health
The course literature is collected in a compendium
- 5 ECTS
- Type of assessment
- Written assignment, 48 hoursThe exam is a written assignment based on five predefined questions. The questions pertain to a scientific article related to the course objective - the Danish welfare model and health care system. The student has 48 hours to elaborate the assignment.
- All aids allowed
- Marking scale
- passed/not passed
- Censorship form
- No external censorship
Criteria for exam assesment
To achieve the course attestation, the student shall be able to:
All questions should be answered. The assignment is evaluated in terms of whether it demonstrates obtainment of the course learning objectives. Answers should be substantiated with references from the course literature and other relevant literature. The answers should be clearly structured and the terminology in line with the one used in the course. The assignment is to be elaborated independently and be no longer than 5 normal pages. One normal page equals 2400 characters including space. The reference list is not part of the total count of characters.
- Class Instruction