NSCPHD1087 Journal Club: Global nutrition and health
The PhD course database is under construction. If you want to sign up for this course, please click on the link in order to be re-directed. Link: https://phdcourses.ku.dk/nat.aspx
Background: A tailor-made, journal club-based course for PhD-students working in or with the Research Group for International Nutrition and Health, including double-degree students, as these students are spending considerable time in Africa and Asia. Hence, the exact time and place depends on availability of students and teachers. For example, a series of journal clubs may be held at collaborating institutions abroad when an Associate Professor or Professor from the group is on supervisory visit, or when several students are in Denmark for course-work and write-up.
Schedule and duration: A student should participate in ten journal clubs of two hours each, and be responsible for and write a review of at least two.
General course objectives:
- To enable the student to critically review scientific papers in this field
- To enable the students to define, understand and use epidemiological terms and concepts
- To enable the student to evaluate the nutritional methods used
- To enable the students to engage in scientific discussions.
A student who has met the objectives of the course will be able to:
- Critically review a scientific paper and evaluate strength and weaknesses, in relation to study design, validity, such as bias and confounding, and generalizability
- Evaluate the use of measures of dietary intake and nutritional status
- Discuss the importance of the research for clinical practice and public health
- 3 ECTS
- Type of assessment
- Continuous assessmentEvaluation of presentations and written reviews.
- Marking scale
- passed/not passed