NKEB15000U Nanobio 3
bachelor programme in nanoscience
with novel applications in medicine, environment and safety. The course will address state-of-the-art applications in the field. It will be based on introductory lectures on the topics and critical reading of recent articles and reviews. The course will also contain lab exercises in small groups.
There are several assignments:
1- lab reports
2- presentation of scientific article (oral presentation of an article (20 mn) + acting as opponent for two other articles presented during the course)
The overall goal of the course is to learn and understand how biological molecules and / or nanomaterials can be exploited for novel biological applications. Completing the course the student is expected to have acquired basic principles about:
• Design of new biomolecules based on their intrinsic properties
• Techniques for investigations at the nanoscale level
• Design of nanomaterials & devices for biological investigation
• Interface of biological complexes with surfaces
• Establish protocol and run experiments using state-of-the-art equipment available in the bionanolab
• Critical reading and discussion about scientific articles in the field
1. Explain the goal and methods used in the experimental part.
2. Describe several types of applications of bionanoscience with their specificities
3. Discuss interface between material / biological sample (principle, technical challenges, ..).
see the Absalon course page
- 7,5 ECTS
- Type of assessment
- Oral examination, 20 min under invigilationDuring the block: Laboratory exercises are mandatory. Reports of each laboratory exercise should be submitted according to deadlines announced at the beginning of the course.
- During the block: Critical reading of articles (3 assessments per student – one as presenter, the two others as opponent)
- Exam registration requirements
two lab-reports must be completed, a paper must be presented, and the student must act as opponent for two other presentations
- Without aids
- Marking scale
- 7-point grading scale
- Censorship form
- No external censorship
one internal examiner
Same as the ordinary exam. The requirements for the re-exam are the same as for the ordinary exam. The requirement involving participation in experimental activities cannot be waived and students who do not fulfill this requirement must follow the course during the next academic year.
Criteria for exam assesment
see learning outcome
- Class Exercises