NKEB13013U Advanced Inorganic Chemistry (KemiVU)
Descriptive chemistry, primarily of the transition metals:
Bonding and structure, reaction mechanisms and equliibrium. Simple
models for electronic spectra and magnetic properties of
Excersices encompassing some important characterization techniques in inorganic chemistry.
Reading and analysis of contemporary research papers in inorganic chemistry.
- an overview of the descriptive chemistry of the periodic table.
- ablity to read, understand and discuss contemporary research literature in inorganic chemistry.
- ability to suggest relevant experimantal techniques to address specific questions.
- being able to account for important binary compounds for all elements.
- being able to account for selected coordination compounds for the d- and f-block elements.
- being able to account for the general characteristic chemical behavior of all elements.
- being able to account for the most important experimantal techniques in inorganic chemistry; UV-vis, EPR, IR, heteronuclear NMR, fluorescence and CD spectroscopy; as well as electrochemistry. Being able to account for the shortcomings of these techniques.
- being able to account for structural, mechanistic and thermodynamic aspects of coordination chemistry, including isomerism and chelate effects.
- being able to account for the electronic properties of coordination compounds.
- being able to discuss organometallic chemistry and the models specific to this field.
- knowledge of the important oxidation states for all elements
- knowledge of important characterization techniques in inorganic chemistry and of the imformation provided by these techniques.
- knowledge of some basic models for electronic structure and reactivity of coordination compounds
Announced at Absalon page
- Practical exercises
- Theory exercises
- 7,5 ECTS
- Type of assessment
- Oral examination, 30 min. uden forberedelse---
- Exam registration requirements
- Completion and approval of all reports associated with lab. excersices .
- Marking scale
- 7-point grading scale
- Censorship form
- No external censorship
flere interne bedømmere
- same as the ordinary exam. The requirements for the re-exam are the same as for the ordinary exam. The requirement involving participation in experimental activities cannot be waived and students who do not fulfill this requirement must follow the course during the next academic year.
Criteria for exam assesment
Extent of knowledge of descriptive chemistry
Ability to account for principles in practical excersices
Ability to apply knowledge to discussion of chemical literature