NIGK14047U Environment, Society and Development (Part 1) - Development Geography
MSc programme in Geography and Geoinformatics
This competence-line course teaches state-of the art research within the field environment, society and development with a specific focus on understanding theoretical approaches to development geography in the Global South. It is recommended that students also follow the course Environment, Society and Development (part 2).
Understanding theoretical approaches to development geography, modernization theory, dependency theory, and post-development theory, participatory development, gender, and development ethics.
- read scientific literature related to the course subjects.
- apply, evaluate and analyse methods, theories and data related to the course subjects.
- use correct scientific definitions and terms.
- give a short, concise and well-illustrated oral presentation on the basis of scientific papers.
- write a short, concise report aimed at colleagues within the professional world, public institutions or research institutions.
Identify and develop proposals for solving complex geographical problems based on theories used in human geography.
Assess own professional geographical skills in relation to other disciplines
Please see Absalon course page.
- 7,5 ECTS
- Type of assessment
- Written assignmentOral examination, 20 minutesThe written assignment is prepared during the course and must be handed in prior to the exam week. The oral exam uses the written assignment as its point of departure. It includes the titles listed in the officially approved reading list.
- All aids allowed
- Marking scale
- 7-point grading scale
- Censorship form
- External censorship
Criteria for exam assesment
Please see learning outcome
- Theory exercises
- Project work