NIGK14040U Remote Sensing Seminar and Project Work
The course is structured as a research seminar and aims at presenting the newest research methodologies, techniques and knowledge within remote sensing of land use land cover changes (LULCC). State of the art data types/products and algorithms/models will be presented and used in the course in a way making the student capable of applying critical reasoning when working with the increasing amount of remotely sensed data and products available today. The content will be adapted to ongoing and important research themes and the interests of the students. In the last part of the research seminar students will plan, execute and present a remote sensing project of own choice.
Image processing, data interpretation, spatial and temporal statistical analysis, model parameterization and evaluation.
- Identify a relevant research question in line with the course content
- identify data sets, strategies and methodologies and to solve the research question
- possess a theoretical and practical knowledge of the research field
- Make an evaluation of the errors and uncertainties of the relevant data
- Being able to integrate theory, methodology, data interpretation, and to demonstrate the ability to evaluate new information critically
- Being able to collaborate in a group and exchange of information on potential problems and solutions
- Being able to present their project findings in an oral
presentation and in a scientific report
The student should get in-depth knowledge of image processing of a selected theme within satellite based remote sensing of land use land cover changes (LULCC). The emphasis will be on the practical data processing and analysis, so the student will be independently able to solve relevant problems on applications of remote sensing. This includes selection and collection of data sets, digital image processing, analysis and assessment of errors and uncertainties. The students will also have gained experience in preparing and communicating their results of an independent project, where remote sensing data is the focal point.
- Theory exercises
- 7,5 ECTS
- Type of assessment
- Written assignmentOral examination, 20 minutesThe written assignment is prepared during the course and must be handed in prior to the exam week. The oral exam uses the written assignment as its point of departure. It includes the titles listed in the officially approved reading list.
- All aids allowed
- Marking scale
- passed/not passed
- Censorship form
- No external censorship
Several internal examiners.
Criteria for exam assesment
See learning outcome.