NIGB15014U Introduction to Solid Earth Geophysics
Bacheloruddannelsen i geologi-geoscience
Principles of physical description of the Earth at all scales with emphasis on the application of geophysical methods to interpretation of regional and local geological processes. This course is the foundation for other geophysical courses.
- Principles of physical description of the Earth at all scales.
- Geophysical methods.
- Interpretation of geophysical data for understanding of regional and local geological processes.
- Applications of geophysical research to studies of geohazards and climate, as well as to exploration for mineral and hydrocarbons resources.
- Be able to describe important physical processes in the Earth, including Plate Tectonic and geodynamic processes.
- Show understanding of major principles of geophysical methods.
- Be able to identify areas of application of different geophysical methods to geological interpretation, including exploration for mineral and hydrocarbons resources.
- Have understanding of how physical processes affect Earth evolution.
- Be able to assess which geophysical methods may be suitable for solving specific geological problems both in academic and exploration context.
- Be able to assess and discuss regional and local geological processes through interpretation of geophysical data.
- Be able to communicate geophysical results by written and oral presentation.
- Theory exercises
- 7,5 ECTS
- Type of assessment
- Oral examination, 20 minutesAt the exam the student draws a question and is examined without preparation time.
- Without aids
- Marking scale
- 7-point grading scale
- Censorship form
- External censorship
Criteria for exam assesment
See "Learning Outcome".