NFYK16006U Observational Astronomy
MSc Programme in Physics
The purpose of the summer course is to become familiar with basic elements of modern observational astrophysics and the heart of the course is an observing trip to the Nordic Optical Telescope at which we during three nights will carry out an observational program.
Structure of the Course
The course has three elements:
1) a preparation phase, 2) the actual observations at the telescope,
and 3) a data reduction and report writing phase.
Objective of the Course
The objective of the course is to give the students an introduction to the central elements in preparation, execution and data reduction relating observations at a modern astrophysical observatory.
- phase 1: application for observing time, astronomical instruments, preparation of observing runs (target visibility, finding charts, signal-to-noise considerations).
- phase 2: execution of astrophysical observations at the Nordic Optical Telescope. When possible we will also visit other telescopes on Roque del los Muchachos (e.g., the Swedish solar telescope, the Isaac Newton Group telescopes or the Spanish GTC).
- phase 3: reduction and publication of data.
Competences/Knowledge and Skills
The student will after having passed the course be able to:
- apply for observing time (although there is no guarantee that time will be granted)
- prepare an observing run. This includes determining when a given target can be observed during the year and on a given night, how long the target should be observed to reach a specified signal-to-noise ratio, establishing which calibration data are needed, and interact with the observatory staff about which instrumental setup is needed for the run.
- Carry out astrophysical observations in an efficient and careful manner.
- Extract the astrophysically relevant information from a dataset and write up a report presenting the conclusions in a clear and comprehensive manner.
corresponding to an introductory astronomy course is an advantage.
- 7,5 ECTS
- Type of assessment
- Written assignmentA final report should be handed in based on the observational data. The report can be written individually or in a Group of up to 4 students.
- Exam registration requirements
Active participation in the course, particularly the observational part at NOT.
- Marking scale
- passed/not passed
- Censorship form
- No external censorship
several internal examiners
It is not possible to fulfill the exam registration requirements before the re-exam for a student who has not participated in the observational excursion. The student must follow the course next year.
Students who participated, but did not have a report approved, can submit a new report.
Criteria for exam assesment
see learning outcome.
- Project work