HCCK03251U COG, Communication Theory and Empirical Methodologies
Communication Theory and Empirical Methodologies
Master in Cognition and Communication
The module gives students:
Knowledge and understanding of:
- the interdisciplinary nature of cognitive science and its different frameworks - from the classical computational models to connectionism
· ways in which key concepts are introduced and used by different frameworks
- ways in which cognitive processes and human behaviour can be described and explained at various levels of explanation (ranging from descriptions of cognitive tasks to neurobiological implementation)
- key notions in contemporary philosophy of psychology and philosophy of
- describe and explain how applications of cognitive science may have relevance for communication
- apply cognitive theories and methodologies to situations and problems of
- reflect on the different possible interpretations of theory and these interpretations’ relationships to each other in relations to issues in communication
- identify ways in which cognitive factors constrain and determine communicative actions and content.
Students are able to:
- account descriptively and critically for key theories of communication
- discuss and evaluate the relevance of various communication theories with
regard to a particular instance of communication of the student's own choice (face-to-face and/or technologically mediated).
- account descriptively and critically for key empirical methodologies
- operationalize relevant aspects of one or more communication theories
with regard to a particular instance, purpose, and context of communication
- develop and substantiate such operationalization in the form of an empirical research design which takes into account the medium, genre and social context in question
- discuss and evaluate the proposed operationalization with due consideration to the chosen method(s) as well as both theoretical and empirical aspects of communication studies.
Choice of exam:
Communication Theory and Empirical Methodologies 1 HCCK03251E
as ONE course with ONE examination, but is graded with two seperate grades.
Master elective for students from outside of Humanities at UCPH:
Apply on form to firstname.lastname@example.org November 1, 2015 at the latest.
Please remember to get the course pre-approved on the application form by the administration at your own department.
- 15 ECTS
- Krav til indstilling til eksamen
Kriterier for bedømmelse
- I alt