LPLK10367U Tropical Crop Production
MSc Programme in Agriculture
MSc Programme in Sustainable Development in Agriculture (Agris Mundus)
i. Agronomy with reference to tropical conditions.
Tropical crop physiology; crop genetic resources, agrobiodiversity and breeding; timing of management; weed control; configuration (spacing and inter cropping); and soil fertility.
ii. Tropical Crops
An overview of major tropical crops, their intrinsic properties and their cultivation with special emphasis on small-holder conditions. Cultivation and rotations of crops under unimodal and bimodal rainy seasons.
iii. Farming systems
Quantitative study of small holder farming systems under various agro-ecological conditions in the dry and humid tropics.
When students have completed the course they should have attained:
- Demonstrate knowledge of the principles of tropical crop production
- Understand the characteristics of major tropical crops
- Demonstrate overview of tropical farming systems in relation to agro-ecological and socio-economic conditions.
- Analyse and synthesize diverse types of information on tropical crop production
-Design cropping calendars for selected major crops species
- Develop tropical crop production plans in relation to given agro-ecological and socioeconomic conditions
- Design, implement and analyze research projects in a tropical crop production environment
- Assess and formulate agronomic components of development support programmes
- Advise extension and research institutions in tropical countries
- Do statistical and graphical analysis of field experiments.
Tropical Crop Production I - Selected papers
Tropical Crop Production II – Manual for practical and theoretical exercises
As an exchange, guest and credit student - click here!
Continuing Education - click here!
- 7,5 ECTS
- Type of assessment
- Written examination, 4 hours under invigilation4 hour written exam
- Exam registration requirements
- Theoretical and practical excercise report submission
- All aids allowed
- Marking scale
- 7-point grading scale
- Censorship form
- No external censorship
One internal examiner
Criteria for exam assesment
- Theory exercises
- Practical exercises