NGEK10030U Marine Geoscience
MSc programme in Geology-Geoscience
The course will be held at the field station Skalling Laboratoriet in Ho, NW of Esbjerg, Denmark. Lectures and workshops will form the basic part of the course. A limited number of a text books can be mailed to the participants prior to the course, and is to be returned at the end. The text book is meant as an introduction to the topic in order to secure a common background for all students. The practical part will be in the form of 2 days fieldwork - 1 day off shore Sylt using the German research vessel "Mya", AWI (Alfred-Wegner-Institute Wattenmeerstation, Sylt) and 1 day in the Ho Bugt area. For more information see the Marine Geoscience flyer at the course hompage.
Sea floor processes, marine transport processes in shallow and deep water, marine environment and climate relations, palaeoceanography and practical experience in marine research methods. active offshore marine geoscience fieldwork
• identify strategies and methodologies, and to solve scientific problems in the marine geoscience research field
• demonstrate theoretical and practical knowledge of marine geosciences
• integrate theory, methodology, data and interpretation, and to demonstrate the ability to evaluate new information critically.
organize and carry out geographical or geological field work and to be able to analyze, evaluate, document and communicate the results of a scientific study.
Please see Absalon course page.
BSc in Geology-Geoscience or equivalent
1) Students enrolled in the M.Sc. programme in Geology-Geoscience/Geography-Geoinformatics who have followed the competence course ‘Geophysics - Global seismology and potential fields’ or ‘Coastal, Estuarine and Fluvial Geoscience’
2) Students enrolled in the M.Sc. programme in Geology-Geoscience/Geography-Geoinformatics with a signed Masters’ thesis contract. Those applicants with the most passed ECTS points at the time of application will be prioritized highest.
3) Other students enrolled in the M.Sc. programme in Geology-Geoscience/Geography-Geoinformatics
Students shall pay for their own travel to and from Skallingen Laboratoriet as well as 700 DKK for food and lodgings.
As an exchange, guest and credit student - click here!
Continuing Education - click here!
- 7,5 ECTS
- Type of assessment
- Written assignment---
- Exam registration requirements
- Active participation during the course at Skallingen is mandatory for passing the course.
- All aids allowed
- Marking scale
- passed/not passed
- Censorship form
- No external censorship
Criteria for exam assesment
- Theory exercises