NGEK10011U Environment, Society and Development (1+2)
MSc programme in Geology and Geoscience
This competence-line course teaches state-of the art research within the field Environment, society and development
Theoretical approaches to development geography, modernization theory, dependency theory, and post-development theory, participatory development, gender, and development ethics, human-environment interactions, human and political ecology, ecological economics and sustainability, land system science.
- read scientific literature related to the course subjects.
- apply, evaluate and analyse methods, theories and data related to the course subjects.
- use correct scientific definitions and terms.
- give a short, concise and well-illustrated oral presentation on the basis of scientific papers.
- write a short, concise report aimed at colleagues within the business world, public institutions or research institutions.
identify and work out proposal for solving comlex geographical problems using theory, data and methods
conduct and carry out large scale field work, data collection and subsequent analyses
access own professional geographical skills in relation to other subjects
cooporate and work with people from other professions
Please see Absalon course page.
As an exchange, guest and credit student - click here!
Continuing Education - click here!
- 15 ECTS
- Type of assessment
- Oral examination, 30 minutesWritten assignmentThe written assignment is prepared during the course and must be handed in prior to the exam week. The oral exam uses the written assignment as its point of departure. It includes the titles listed in the officially approved reading list.
All students must hand in a written assignment after block 1. The assignment must be approved by the teacher. Students must have an approved block 1 assignment to continue with the course and participate in the block 2 exam.
- Without aids
- Marking scale
- 7-point grading scale
- Censorship form
- External censorship
Criteria for exam assesment
- Theory exercises
- Project work