NGEA09018U Sedimentary Basins - Evolution, Environments and Resources (1)
ECTS course is constituted by block 1 of the 15 ECTS course
"Sedimentary Basins - evolution, environments and resources
(1+2)" focusing on the most general themes, whereas block 2
focuses on more specialised themes.
The aim of the course is to provide an overview of types of sedimentary basins set in a plate-tectonic framework, and to proceed from there in a series of steps to progressively smaller scale and higher degree of details. Throughout there will be a strong emphasis on explorational aspects for resources, such as hydrocarbons and groundwater. The main framework of basin analysis is introduced in the first block (1). The second block (2) is focused on more practical hands-on exercises, where the student work with seismic profiles, well logs and outcrop data from selected basins.
- Types of sedimentary basins set in a plate-tectonic framework
- explorational aspects for resources, such as hydrocarbons and groundwater, in sedimentary basins
- seismic profiles, well logs and outcrop data from selected basins.
- describe the types of sedimentary basins in a plate-tectonic framework, and to proceed from there in a series of steps to progressively smaller scale and higher degrees of detail
- describe the explorational aspects for hydrocarbons and groundwater
- apply seismic profiles, well logs and outcrop data from selected basins
- perform an independent analysis and synthesis of a sedimentary basin through time based on all available seismic, borehole and outcrop data and by applying a wide spectrum of tectonic, stratigraphic and sedimentological methods within a plate tectonic framework
- make a professional-style oral presentation and write a short, concise report on a selected subject which can be directly used by a wide range of professionals.
Upon completion of the course, students should be able to:
- classify sedimentary basins within a plate tectonic framework
- describe and interpret the basin fill in a stratigraphic-tectonic framework
- explain the main elements in the analysis of the sedimentary source areas, including geology, provenance, sediment flux and drainage patterns
- identify, describe and interprete major depositional systems by correlation of outcrops, well logs and seismic profiles using seismic and sequence stratigraphy and seismic geomorphology
- identify and explain potential occurrences of economically important resources, notably hydrocarbons in the investigated basins
- undertake a synthesis of the formation, stratigraphical development and resources of a basin based on all available data
- give an oral presentation of this synthesis and present it in a short, concise report
As an exchange, guest and credit student - click here!
Continuing Education - click here!
- 7,5 ECTS
- Type of assessment
- Written assignment...
- Marking scale
- passed/not passed
- Censorship form
- No external censorship
Several internal examiners.
Criteria for exam assesment
- Theory exercises
- Project work