LOJA10288U Environmental and Natural Resource Economics
Bacheloruddannelsne i naturvidenskab og it
This course is an intermediate level course intended to provide
students with a comprehensive introduction to environmental and
natural resource economics. It is assumed that students
have a good grounding in basic microeconomics.
The course gives a comprehensive introduction to the principles
of environmental and natural resource economics. It will provide
the participants with the knowledge needed to understand the
economic aspects of environmental policy issues and the theoretical
basis required to take advanced courses in environmental and
natural resource economics at the graduate level.
Having completed the course it is expected that the student is able to:
- Define externalities.
- Understand the economic principles behind the design of environmental policy instruments.
- Understand the issues associated with regulation of international environmental problems.
- Understand the welfare economic principles behind social discounting.
- Understand the principles underlying non-market economic valuation methods and cost-benefit analysis.
- Understand the principles behind optimal utilization of renewable and non-renewable natural resources.
- Understand the ethical positions underlying environmental sustainability concepts and discounting.
- Identify relevant policy instruments to internalize different types of externalities.
- Evaluate the consequences of applying a policy instrument to address an environmental problem.
- Identify relevant project and policy appraisal methods.
- Evaluate alternative approaches to renewable and non-renewable natural resource utilization.
- Apply the principles of environmental and natural resource economics to understand policy issues in these fields.
As an exchange, guest and credit student - click here!
Continuing Education - click here!
- 7,5 ECTS
- Type of assessment
- Written examination, 4 hours under invigilation---
- Exam registration requirements
- The student must hand in and get approval of two compulsory assignments.
- All aids allowed
- Marking scale
- 7-point grading scale
- Censorship form
- External censorship
- If 10 or fewer register for the reexamination the examination form will be oral.
Criteria for exam assesment
Fulfilment of the specified learning outcomes
- Theory exercises