LNAK10099U Biodiversity in Urban Nature
WHY BUN: Legislation, psycho-social effects, education and other ecological services close to every-day life
WHAT is BUN: Biological diversity at different levels from
genome to ecosystem level. Increasing biodiversity and supporting
wild life of all sorts in urban surroundings.
HOW to increase BUN: Presentation of scientific knowledge on how effects of deliberate manipulation of surroundings can increase diversity of flora and fauna in urban environment
Keywords from the course plan:
• Historical perspective: Urban development and development in biodiversity – the world goes urban
• Enhancing urban diversity close to everyday life
• Value of nature: Ethical, historical, cultural and economic
• Urban wastelands – a chance for biodiversity
• Introduced and invasive species – their bridge head is often the urban environment. The role of non-native plants in urban environment
• Living roofs and walls – habitat for ground nesting birds, insects and wild plants?
• Seeding wild plants? Enrichment or falsification of nature?
• Walls as habitat for specialists among plants and nesting birds
• Challenges from climate change for diversity in urban environment
• Biodiversity of public and domestic gardens
• Green “corridors” and “step stones” – life savers for urban organisms
• Urban forest – permaculture that favours flora and fauna
• Practical methods for enhancing diversity and abundance of invertebrates, amphibians, reptiles, birds and mammals• Urban agriculture, urban gardening – impacts on diversity?
• Citizen involvement, school children, social acceptance in relation to biodiversity
- Identification of elements and conditions that promote and increase diversity of mammals, birds, reptiles, amphibians, insects and other arthropods, plants including trees and fungi in the urban environment
- Expected consequences on diversity of practical actions taken
- Interactions between plants, herbivores and organisms on other tropic levels
- Methods on quantification of biological diversity
- Abel to suggest which actions that in a given situation will result in increased, reduced or orientated development in the biological diversity.
- Abel to explain relationships and interactions among organisms in a given location and situation and the reasons for absence or presence
- Ability to analyse and evaluate the potential for development in biological diversity among the organisms in a given locality
- Measures to put up a goal for development of diversity in a given area and for evaluation and documentation of fulfilment of the ambition.
- Transform theoretical knowledge to practical action in a situation given limited frames
- Judge biological elements, potential, and possible developmental issues of nature areas in urban environment
- Discuss biological aspects in connection to management and mediating biological issues of nature in urban environment – authenticity, aesthetical values, aspects of recreation and first-hand nature experiences
- Practical exercises
- Project work
As an exchange, guest and credit student - click here!
Continuing Education - click here!
- 7,5 ECTS
- Type of assessment
- Oral examination, 30Written assignmentDescription of Examination: The individual oral exam lasts about 25 min. It consists of a short presentation of the essay (8 min) followed by questions on the essay (6 min). In addition the student will draw a question in relation to lectures and exercises (10 min).
During the course the student will choose a subject on which to write a small essay. The essay will be delivered to the course responsible at least one week before the final exam. The essay will be use as a part of the final examination.
The essay, the individual oral presentation of essay and the oral examination on drawn, general question will each count one third respectively
- Exam registration requirements
- The student should have attended the course and the essay must be submitted in due time before the final examination
- Marking scale
- 7-point grading scale
- Censorship form
- No external censorship
Flere interne bedømmere
Criteria for exam assesment
The examination will focus on to which extend the student have gained the intended learning outcomes.