AØKA08069U The Economics of Banking
The course aims at giving the students the abilities and competences needed to understand and to deal with main problems in the banking sector, both with respect to the functioning of the sector as a whole and the single bank. More specifically, the students are expected after the course to have the following competences:
- Knowing and assessing the roles of banks in the financial sector, related to the basic problems of asymmetric information in its different forms,
- Knowledge of contract forms and the conditions for choosing a given contract depending on the underlying economic conditions,
- Understanding the background of problems related to difficulties in obtaining credits and how they can be remedied,
- Knowing about the interrelation between competition in the banking sector and interest rate levels,
- Understanding the causes of bank runs and bank panics, knowledge of different institutional setups designed for coping with bank runs,
- Knowledge of basic principles for deposit rate insurance, understanding of the intrinsic problems related to assisting troubled banks, as well as the distribution of competence among different authorities
- Knowledge of basic principles of risk management and of risk measures, as well as the basic organisation of risk management in a bank,
- Knowledge of different types of risk and the way in which these risks are measured and mitigated.
- 7,5 ECTS
- Type of assessment
- Written examination, 3 hours under invigilationA 3 hours written examination taking place at Peter Bangs Vej 36.
- Without aids
- Marking scale
- 7-point grading scale
- Censorship form
- External censorship
100 % censurship
- Exam period
- Will be updated before the start of the semester
- Same as ordinary. But if only a few students have registered for the re-exam, the exam might change to an oral exams with a synopsis to be handed in. This means that the examination date also will change.
Criteria for exam assesment