NFYK12004U Applications of X-ray and Neutron Scattering in Biology, Chemistry and Physics
Introduction to neutron and X-ray large scale facilities and the
possibilities they offer.
- Introduction to the scientific concepts, e.g. biological matter, materials chemistry, soft matter and hard condensed matter
- Intuitive overview of basic scattering
- X-ray and neutron production/facilities
- Scattering methods including examples from science
- Problem solving and virtual experiments
- Hands-on experiments including proposal writing, data analysis and presentation of data
The evaluation will be based on the level of understanding the student displays during the oral presentation and through the written report. It is important to have a grasp of the central concepts of scattering and to describe the experimental process and the results obtained.
Knowledge of how to use large research facilities within X-ray and neutron science for the study of biological systems (e.g. single proteins and membranes), and chemical/physical properties of materials (e.g. polymers and crystals).
After passing the course, the student should be able to participate in the setup, conduction, data analysis and reporting of a scattering experiment. This course will provide the students with a competent background for further studies within x-ray and neutron scattering, i.e. an M.Sc. project
- 7,5 ECTS
- Type of assessment
- Written assignmentA final report based on experiments must be written and approved.
- Exam registration requirements
The student must participate 80 % of the time and make a presentation during the course.
- All aids allowed
- Marking scale
- passed/not passed
- Censorship form
- No external censorship
Flere interne bedømmere
A new report must be written. Contact the course responsible if you did not participate in the experiments in order to arrange new experiments.
The requirements for participation cannot be ignored. Students who do not meet the requirement should therefore follow the course again the following year.
Criteria for exam assesment
See Learning Outcome
- Practical exercises
- Theory exercises