SMEA15076U International Study Exposure – Global Public Health
Master of Science in Medicine - compulsory
The course entails a visit to a public health department or faculty at a university in an Eastern European country. The purpose of the visit is gain an understanding of the context of the national disease burden and to critically assess and discuss public health strategy, interventions and related health care challenges in the context of socio-economic change. The visit will increase the student’s ability to observe, compare and discuss conditions that relate to epidemiology, social medicine and health care systems.
The goals are in line with the criteria for exam assessment described below.
Course certifictae in Clinical Course in Surgery
Course certificate in Patient Safety and Quality Development
Course certificate in Statistics, Epidemiology and Medical Sociology
The students should have completed the Summer Course in Global Health Challenges
Kurset udbydes ikke til eksterne studerende.
- 15 ECTS
- Type of assessment
- PortfolioThe portfolio includes:
Development of two log books concerned with two different topics and which include reflection and an analysis of specific questions designed by the course lecturers. Each log book consists of five pages. The log books are to be written in English.
The student will recieve one grade based on both elements.
- All aids allowed
- Marking scale
- 7-point grading scale
- Censorship form
- No external censorship
Criteria for exam assesment
To obtain the grade 12 the student must demonstrate the following abilities:
As medical expert, as collaborator, as manager, as scholar, as health advocate, as communicator and as professional.
- understand the disease burden of specifically pre-selected diseases, risk factors and their context
- explain basic concepts concerning the association between chronic and communicable diseases
- discuss the international and other contextual factors that influence this Eastern European health care system, e.g. the pre-Communist era and EU membership
- explain access and barriers to care for the patient
- assess public health programming and interventions and implementation challenges
- search and review relevant peer-reviewed literature related to the this specific country’s health care system, disease burden and related interventions, as well as related gaps in literature
- critically discuss the health systems response to specifically pre-selected chronic and communicable diseases;
- compare the health care systems of the Nordic countries and this specific country
- assess quality of care including the relationship between specific interventions, treatment guidelines and clinical practice
- communicate reflections and analysis concerning diagnosis, treatment and care for specific pre-selected illness conditions or syndromes in oral and written presentations
- analyse and present observations from institutional visits, class room sessions and lectures in relation to peer-reviewed literature
- Project work
- Class Instruction