SHUA13009E Exam in Pharmacology and Toxicology
MSc Programme in Human Biology - compulsory
MSc Programme in Molecular Biomedicine - elective
- 7,5 ECTS
- Type of assessment
- Written examination, 4 hours---
- Exam registration requirements
Course certificate in SHUA13009U Pharmacology and Toxicology
- Only certain aids allowed
It is not allowed to use own computers, USB memory sticks, mobile phones and other electronic devices to the exam.
It is allowed to bring own calculator without stored data.
- Marking scale
- 7-point grading scale
- Censorship form
- External censorship
- Exam period
April 15, 2016 exam schedule
August 15, 2016 (oral examination) exam schedule
Criteria for exam assesment
To achieve the grade 12, the student must be able to:
- Discuss the overall principles of pharmaceutical absorption, distribution biotransformation and excretion
- Explain the mathematical principles behind plasma concentration development in pharmaceutical dosage
- Discuss the principles behind pharmaceutical-receptor binding including the dose-response curve for agonists, antagonists and partial agonists.
- Explain the importance of external factors on the effects of pharmaceuticals (polymorphy, social factors, age, disease)
- Discuss the main therapeutic groups and give examples of the most relevant drugs. This includes their known or presumed action mechanism at the molecular and cellular level and the primary side effects.
- Discuss the primary toxicological treatment principles by reference to relevant examples
- Explain different phases in the development of a pharmaceutical - from idea to finished medicinal product, including principles and methods used to discover and develop pharmaceuticals, particularly in the field of biotechnology
- Employ pharmacodynamic and kinetic principles in the assessment of therapeutic and adverse effects of pharmaceuticals
- Use the acquired knowledge about each main therapeutic group in the assessment of any given pharmaco-therapy, e.g. in collaboration with medical staff
- Perform toxicological assessments in connection with the use of pharmaceuticals as well as chemicals on the basis of concepts as accumulated dose-adverse effect graph, toxic and therapeutic index
- Use the acquired toxicological knowledge in the assessment of new drugs and products aimed at preventing poisoning
- Plan, perform and analyse fundamental pharmacology and toxicology studies