NMAK17000U CANCELLED: Modeling and Implementation in OR
MSc Programme in Mathematics-Economics
The contents of other operations research courses (such as OR1) cover fundamental and theoretical aspects of mathematical programming. This course puts special emphasis on the modeling, implementation and solution of mathematical programming problems. That is, given a description of an optimization problem, the challenge is how to formulate an appropriate mathematical programming model and how to implement and solve the problem using software such as Cplex, Java, and GAMS.
At the end of the course the student should have:
- gained knowledge of common linear and integer programming problems and how continuous and integer variables can be used to express logical relations;
- acquired skills to:
a) translate the description of real-life optimization problems to suitable mathematical programming problems
b) implement and solve mathematical programming problems using state-of-the-art optimization software such as GAMS and Cplex;
- obtained competences within formulation and discussion of mathematical models for optimization problems, implementation and solution of such problems in an efficient way.
- 7,5 ECTS
- Type of assessment
- Oral examination, 30 minutes30 minutes oral examination with 30 minutes preparation time.
- Exam registration requirements
The student must hand in one project that must be approved
- Only certain aids allowed
During the preparation time, all written aids allowed.
In the examination, some written aids allowed: one page with keywords, main results of project, etc.
- Marking scale
- 7-point grading scale
- Censorship form
- No external censorship
Two internal examiners.
As the ordinary exam. If the project were not approved before the ordinary exam it must be resubmitted at the latest two week before the beginning of the re-exam week. The project must be approved before the re-exam
Criteria for exam assesment
The student must in a satisfactory way demonstrate that he/she has mastered the learning outcome of the course.
- Class Instruction
- Project work