NMAA09039U Algebraic Topology II (AlgTopII)
MSc Programme in Mathematics
This course will be an introduction to homotopy theory and spectral sequences. The first part will focus on elementary homotopy theory covering e.g., fibrations, cofibrations, cellular approximation, Whitehead and Hurewich theorem. The second part will focus on spectral sequences in homotopy theory. The Serre spectral sequence is constructed and used to calculate homology and homotopy groups of a number of interesting spaces.
- Knowledge: To display knowledge of the course topics and content, at the level of a beginning researcher.
- Skills: To be able to use the acquired knowledge to perform computations.
- Competencies: To be able to produce independent proofs in extension of the acquired knowledge.
- 7,5 ECTS
- Type of assessment
- Continuous assessmentWeekly homework counting 50 % towards the grade and a 2 hours 'closed-book' final in-class problem set counting 50 % of the grade.
- Only certain aids allowed
All aids allowed for the weekly homework. No books and no electronic aids are allowed for the 2 hours final exam. Personally created handwritten notes on paper are allowed.
- Marking scale
- 7-point grading scale
- Censorship form
- No external censorship
One internal examiner.
30 minutes oral examination with no aids or preparation time. The oral examination will cover the entire material of the course, including the exercise sets.
Criteria for exam assesment
The student must in a satisfactory way demonstrate that he/she has mastered the learning outcome of the course.
- Theory exercises