NFYK15011U From Idea To Result
MSc Programme in Physics
MSc Programme in Physics w. minor subject
The main goal is to train the student in independent research under supervision. The course will offer in depth analysis of a problem in modern physics. The student (or the group) selects a project of his/her interest, from a range of possible problems (but not from the same research group as where the bachelor was made). This may be an idea, an observation, an experiment or a theory. The student will analyze the problem, investigate the underlying theory or phenomenology, conduct the relevant experiments or collect the data, perform the physical and statistical analysis, and present an interpretation and conclusion. Finally the report is presented both in written and oral forms, and evaluated amongst his/her peers.
- An important result, observation or problem in modern physics
- Learn how to obtain relevant experimental results or observations data
- Practically perform a statistical and physical analysis on real data
- Learn how peer-review works
- Conduct independent research under supervision
- Learn how to follow through, from idea to result
- Learn proper scientific writing
- Learn better presentation methods
- Perform practical statistical data analysis
- Learn from a field different from the field of his/her bachelor thesis
- Improve understanding of the scientific method
This course will allow the student to see an idea, perform the relevant experiment (or data collection), leading to the physical analysis and interpretation, and finally presenting the results. The competences include obtaining data, performing the analysis, and finally both written and oral presentation. These are skills, which are both needed in academia and in the industry.
Reading of a classic paper. Improved understanding of the scientific method. Constructing an experiment or obtaining available data. Perform proper physical and statistical data analysis. Written and oral presentations.
- 7,5 ECTS
- Type of assessment
- Written assignment, 7 weeksOral defence, about 15 minutesAssessment will be based on:
- Peer-review of a 4 page report (similar to a scientific Letter) presenting the idea, methods, interpretation and results
- an oral presentation of the project (similar to conference style, typically 5+10 minutes for presentation+discussion)
The part-examinations are not weighted, but assessed individually; an overall assessment is then applied.
- All aids allowed
- Marking scale
- 7-point grading scale
- Censorship form
- No external censorship
more internal examiners
same as ordinary, i.e. the student must make a new report and a new presentation.
Criteria for exam assesment
see learning outcome
- Project work