NFYA04036U Elementary Particle Physics
MSc Programme in Physics
MSc Programme in Physics w. minor subject
The purpose of this course is to give the student an understanding of relativistic quantum field theory. A general introduction to Quantum Field Theory will be given, with an aim towards applications: Feynman diagrams, cross sections, decay rates, etc.
At the end of the course the student is expected to be able to
- use the tools of quantum field theory to solve fundamental problems in theoretical particle physics.
- use the required mathematical language in presenting the solutions to these problems.
The understanding of relativistic Quantum Field Theory and its application in describing relativistic scattering and decay processes in the Standard Model of fundamental interactions.
This course, together with 'Quantum Field Theory I', prepares the students with the background for research in this field, for instance in terms of an M.Sc. project.
See Absalon for final course material. The following is an example of expected course litterature.
Mark Srednicki: "Quantum Field Theory" (Cambridge Univ. Press).
An elementary knowledge of relativistic notation is assumed, and it is therefore a good idea to have followed a course in General Relativity and Cosmology.
- 7,5 ECTS
- Type of assessment
- Continuous assessmentWritten assignment, 8 hoursThe final grade will be based on two components:
(i) 6 homework assignments (25%) and
(ii) 8 hours take home exam (75%).
Each part of the exam is assessed individually and the final grade is given on this basis.
- Marking scale
- 7-point grading scale
- Censorship form
- No external censorship
More internal examiners
Reexamination: 8 hours take home assignment counts for 75% of the final grade. Points from the homework assignments handed in during the course (if any) count for the remaining 25% of the grade.
Criteria for exam assesment
See learning outcome